I don’t think a person should be considered “slutty” for the way they dress, but I do think nudity or being very scantily dressed is inappropriate in most situations, and I would try to teach my daughter to keep her body to herself from the beginning.
First of all, let me say that your reply was totally irrelevant to my question. I asked mothers who label naked women as sluts when they would label their own daughters that way.. since slut is a gender slur, and nudity is a regular part of life. If you don’t go around calling people sluts, then you can’t answer for those who do.
But, I did want to comment on what you said.. because what you said made me very uncomfortable.
1. I would teach my child, male or female, that we wear clothes in public to protect ourselves from the elements. It’s like how we wear a seatbelt in the car to protect ourselves. On top of that, clothes are how we express ourselves as individuals, and fashion is fun. I will not be teaching my child that we wear clothes because nudity or bodies are inappropriate.
2. I personally grew up on a horse farm in the countryside, where running around nude as a child was fine, and my mother was often nude in the house. I am always nude in the house. I will continue to be nude in the house, except for when we have house guests - and if my child wants to be as well, that is fine.
3. I have also been nude in many public places. On college campuses, while I modeled for art classes. On nude beaches. In public streets for photo shoots, especially in places in San Francisco where it is legal. In public places where it was not legal, but we didn’t get caught or disturb anyone. In prints displayed in art galleries & art shows. In magazines & books. Online. I do not feel this was inappropriate of me. I am very proud of my body of work, and I will not be hiding it from my child, or teaching them it was inappropriate.
4. I think it’s perfectly fine for my child to see art nude photographs, paintings, and sculptures. If I have a son who reaches sexual maturity, and he wants to look at porn out of curiosity, I would rather give him my Taschen books or Suicide Girls book with erotica photographs. Because I’m an art snob, and I think that’s more tasteful than most porn. If a have a daughter, and she reaches sexual maturity & wants to look at other female bodies out of curiosity, I would rather her look at all the nude photographs I’ve taken of women of various body types and weights.. than to look at women fully clothed in fashion magazines who have been photoshopped to death & carry unrealistic standards of beauty.
5. What’s inappropriate has a lot to do with culture. Jock Sturges, one of my favorite photographers, is well-known for photographing nude adolescents with their families on beaches in France. I live in Hawaii, which is free from some of the puritanical nonsense that most of America deals with. It’s perfectly appropriate to be scantily clad here in our tropical climate.
6. More than anything, I just want to raise my son or daughter to be a good person. The kind of person their father is, and that I aspire to be. The kind of person who makes the world a sweeter place to live. I don’t think the world is going to be a better place if people wear more clothing more often. That certainly isn’t something I’d focus my energy on teaching.
7. Tumblr is NOT somewhere where nudity or bodies are inappropriate. There are porn blogs, erotica blogs, art nude blogs, sex-positive blogs, body positive blogs. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to follow it. This is a sex-positive, body-positive, feminist blog about the beauty of pregnancy & childbirth, and I DO post nudity on it. I post my own maternity nudes, and shots of my body before pregnancy. I reblog maternity nudes, and videos or photos of women giving birth. I may even post videos or photos of myself giving birth to accompany my birth story. I love natural birth. I plan to be a doula or midwife someday. If nudity is a no-no, this is the wrong blog to be following.
8. A body is not sexual simply because it’s nude. I woman feeding a baby with her breast or birthing a baby with her vagina is not sexual. A woman naked on tumblr is not sexual. Maybe what she’s doing in the photo, or her facial expression is sexual. But her body is not sexual just because it’s nude. Now, here’s what I don’t get:
If a child is nude, and a man sexualizes it in his mind, he is a dirty pedophile.
If a woman is nude, and a man sexualizes it in his mind, she is a dirty slut.
That makes no logical sense to me.
9. That’s about it for now.
- keelansean likes this
- math-erin reblogged this from dearestpj
- thenwhathappensnext likes this
- aryanishross reblogged this from lady-frosting-goblin
- aryanishross likes this
- lady-frosting-goblin reblogged this from themamafox
- kestrel-hath reblogged this from jawdust
- heartlessbombshell reblogged this from for-one-crowded-hour
- for-one-crowded-hour reblogged this from themamafox
- jenocyderose likes this
- spocklover reblogged this from themamafox
- spocklover likes this
- serpensortiablack likes this
- danielle-darling reblogged this from themamafox
- saintlybell reblogged this from themamafox
- anastazzz likes this
- yourfutureblank reblogged this from robotnoise
- peterbetty likes this
- beboldbealive likes this
- theanomalousn likes this
- myobsessionofthemoment reblogged this from themamafox
- losingfatgainingtatts likes this
- apreeal likes this
- bridgettelizabeth likes this
- entropicexplosion likes this
- gaffosske likes this
- smorgey likes this
- shaftheadtilt20 reblogged this from tatouagemoi
- arathergrimreaper reblogged this from gobblinprince
- queenofthegeese reblogged this from themamafox
- unconventionalmarchingband reblogged this from themamafox
- spasmsofreethought likes this
- iloveyournudity likes this
- 123tnhg likes this
- zerianquestionssleep reblogged this from themamafox
- typewriterlullabies likes this
- tttalkabouttheweather reblogged this from themamafox
- robotnoise reblogged this from jawdust
- tatouagemoi reblogged this from themamafox
- diabolepsy likes this
- maddie-plus-two likes this
- raisingrowan likes this
- lady-frosting-goblin likes this
- cinnamon-strawberry reblogged this from themamafox
- waywardexorcist likes this
- all-pink-new-and-reborn likes this
- goldbaroness likes this
- notardisnoscrewdriver likes this
- jawdust reblogged this from themamafox
- prouverre reblogged this from issybird