These sculptures are from Geof Oppenheimer’s series Modern Assemblages, which appeared in the solo gallery show, “Inside us all there is a part that would like to burn down our own house.”
He detonates an explosive inside a cube made of ballistics plastic. This is what’s left behind.
It reminds me of the weird relationship between actual violence and depicted violence.
Like, we see more images of human-against-human violence—in video games, movies, TV, etc.—than anyone ever in the history of this species. (Already today, I’ve seen depictions of several hundred violent human deaths, because I watched a movie called The Expendables.)
But actual violence is increasingly abstract and distant from even those who perpetrate it: Most war-related deaths these days involve explosives, often detonated by people far away from the detonations themselves. Abstraction has kind of become the only way we can really think about this kind of violence, because we experience it abstractly unless and until the bombs land on us.
Also, I just think these sculptures are very beautiful*, and I like that they were created partly by chance and partly by careful design.
All in all, this is the best use of ballistics plastic I’ve seen since Mythbusters.
*Edit: I don’t mean “just” in the sense that the beauty of these sculptures is incidental. That the beauty results from (and relies upon) violence is of course central to the whole enterprise.
Let me get this straight. I show this art to you, I say to you basically what you repeated above, and I get no credit for this? It’s rough out there for a Sarah Green.
Follow Sarah on tumblr for blisteringly smart observations about contemporary art, or just follow me for plagiarism of her blisteringly smart observations about contemporary art.
SIMULACRA AND SIMULATIONS
- lockylock likes this
- mclexie likes this
- gleefullymoi likes this
- levismorbiform reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- tearex-partea reblogged this from rocketrictic
- maunderling reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- 2-out-of-3 reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- boryeon likes this
- shhactnatural likes this
- chalkspills likes this
- gojaplus likes this
- kyliesmullen likes this
- kyliesmullen reblogged this from totallyfubar
- sharkinaberet likes this
- an-anthem-to-ambivalence reblogged this from somepotternerd
- blowingsmokeintobubbles likes this
- somepotternerd reblogged this from totallyfubar
- totallyfubar reblogged this from crash-course-on-everything and added:
- crash-course-on-everything reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- hellolovedoves likes this
- hellolovedoves reblogged this from absolumentmoderne
- jorgeeveryday reblogged this from absolumentmoderne
- jorgeeveryday likes this
- injoyfruit likes this
- sherlockinand likes this
- thekatkrow likes this
- cristeen likes this
- nerdy20something likes this
- hollyecho likes this
- itscavernsandcorridors reblogged this from purple-cosmos
- saiensu reblogged this from purple-cosmos
- purple-cosmos reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- purple-cosmos likes this
- pieces-of-jade reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- alakdotcom reblogged this from absolumentmoderne
- quixoticandabsurd reblogged this from runa-lovegood
- ruthless-ether reblogged this from lungs-
- tarnished-dreams reblogged this from just-for-the-reblogs
- just-for-the-reblogs reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- libraryofalexandria likes this
- thepersonoverthere reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- myah5000 likes this
- landreyou likes this
- blindmen6 likes this
- rhinocerium reblogged this from fishingboatproceeds
- ambarredstrands reblogged this from absolumentmoderne
- ambarredstrands likes this
- heartofbulletz likes this
- tollana likes this