I dont want someone to love me like Edward loves Bella
i dont want someone to love me like a fat kid loves cake.
i dont want someone to love me like Romeo loves Juliet.
I dont want any of that.
I want someone to love me, like Severus Snape loved Lily Potter.
I am so deeply bored with the romanticizing of Snape. I get it, he’s the brilliant, tortured, brooding Heathcliff of the piece, but he was also slimy, desperate and frequently despicable. His motivations were rarely selfless or pure. I acknowledge his eventual heroism, but I am seriously worried by the amount of people who wish to be loved in the way he loved Lily.
His love was obsessive. It was unrequited. He was so irrationally envious that he made her child’s life miserable because he looked like the man she loved. Snape tortured Harry purely because he was the product of a relationship that shattered his little emo heart. How is that acceptable or desirable?
I can only assume the people reblogging this have never actually experienced this obsessive breed of unrequited affection. When someone wants you this desperately and you’re unable to return those emotions it’s awkward, uncomfortable and unpleasant. It makes you feel like the bad person. It infiltrates your life, it plagues you with guilt, it damages the relationships you DO have. It makes you feel sick to your stomach because there’s something deeply invasive about someone thinking about you in that way when you don’t want them to. And I find it disturbing that Snape took his opportunity to hold her when she died, because in life she would never want that from him. Snape was utterly selfish in his love for her, almost to the extent he’d disregard her desires, as well as the happiness of everyone around her. It wasn’t good enough Lily was happy, because she wasn’t happy with HIM.
Lily had no interest in Snape. She was kind to him when no one else was, but she wasn’t attracted to him. Lily loved James. James was a young man with an ego. He was a bully, and he did unpleasant things, as most kids do, but that doesn’t negate the hero he became. James was courageous, and brave, and fiercely loyal. He became a fucking animagus at 15 to help his friend. He was brilliant, devoted, and he willingly, without hesitation, died to protect the family he adored. James was the love of Lily’s life, and Snape was the boy who was obsessed with her.
There’s nothing romantic about the way Snape felt for her. ‘Lasting’ doesn’t equate in desirable. If you WANT someone you have NO interest in to be obsessed with you, to the extent they will detest your child for not being theirs, then that’s all kinds of fucked up.
- crackingshipsandproblems reblogged this from dablayangel
- dablayangel reblogged this from pwoper-assbutt
- shy-girls-with-guns reblogged this from back-to-transylvania
- shy-girls-with-guns likes this
- deareleven likes this
- thatyathing likes this
- smegglesmew reblogged this from la-belle-de-nuit
- smegglesmew likes this
- aninhas128 reblogged this from la-belle-de-nuit
- woops01 likes this
- neariii148 reblogged this from la-belle-de-nuit
- la-belle-de-nuit reblogged this from magicallpanties
- preachpoise reblogged this from thedaisiestdaisy
- lemfacespazz reblogged this from permanentmochakisses
- starry-starry-eyed likes this
- muggle-bubble likes this
- strictlypotter reblogged this from smithcommaelizabeth
- lostlandofstars likes this
- thewordwielder likes this
- stoneairplane likes this
- deanwhiskeychester likes this
- cowardofconscience reblogged this from thedaisiestdaisy
- snape-our-god reblogged this from samanddeantimetravelto221b
- whyisdreamsuchahugetittythen reblogged this from thedaisiestdaisy
- otp-master likes this
- misandrist-mermaids likes this
- barkingtree reblogged this from formerlyformerlyftstreetfanclub
- formerlyformerlyftstreetfanclub reblogged this from bless-my-ability-to-repress
- mad-half-hour likes this
- silentgirl428 likes this
- doctorshernatural reblogged this from samanddeantimetravelto221b
- wooshblah likes this
- alexatheknight reblogged this from obviouslyalexs
- obviouslyalexs reblogged this from kaleidoscopeparadise
- obviouslyalexs likes this
- kaleidoscopeparadise reblogged this from comealongraggedypond
- ushldstop reblogged this from pitytheviolin
- jasperseyes10 likes this
- jasperseyes10 reblogged this from wearelosechesters and added:
- ithinkmycatisreadingmydiary likes this
- loutidecarols likes this
- pitytheviolin reblogged this from debsterslaboritory
- debsterslaboritory reblogged this from comealongraggedypond
- sarahexample reblogged this from comealongraggedypond
- catgatsby likes this
- wedanced-allnight likes this
- comealongraggedypond reblogged this from alymuffin
- bloomingtonii reblogged this from wearelosechesters
- bloomingtonii likes this
- mercymarsh likes this