Dean/Castiel from the fanfic The Voice of the Turtledove
I don’t know if someone already made something like this. I am re-watching Dark Angel and couldn’t stop thinking of Alec as 17 years old Dean from this fanfic.
Posts tagged rec.
It might be fair to say that Dean harbors some feelings for Castiel, maybe has a soft spot for him, perhaps wants to sleep, unworried, in the spaces that Castiel carves out of the everyday grind of Dean’s extraordinarily shitty life.
The post-coital dialogue, right at the end, has had me sobbing for the last ten minutes. Beautifully written. Absolutely gut-wrenching.
okay, so i'm the dragon. big deal.: Castiel doesn’t write like normal people. The notes Dean finds tucked... ›
Castiel doesn’t write like normal people.
The notes Dean finds tucked into his jacket pockets every morning are impossible to read, because Cas writes like a code. Some words are written correctly, Dean thinks the letters are meant to be in English, but half are upside down, or backwards, or…
for the person who asked, these are my favorites.
i know i’m missing a lot of people, so reblog this and add your recs if you’ve got ‘em. rec yourself, even! that would be awesome. there’s so much talent out there.
I wrote this for Josie because she was awesome to me and staved off my boredom. Also, I was drunk in Amsterdam when I started this…so…
Dean/Misha. Sex. Implied Misha/Jensen and Dean/Castiel.
HOLY LORD, META!MISHA/DEAN IS MY LIFEBLOOD
“I’ve seen a lot in my time,” Castiel says, and for some reason, from him, it doesn’t sound like a movie line or anything silly. He means it. He’s seen a lot of stuff in four billion years. “I’ve read all the great texts of the world—the I Ching, Aristotle, Herodotus, Plotinus, Thoreau. I’ve watched mountains rise and empires fall. I even performed a few miracles, under my Father’s orders.” He sounds a little bitter when he speaks of God; Dean doesn’t think that will ever go away. “I have watched people from birth to death, over and over and over again. Yet I have never, not once, in all my existence, seen anything to rival the connection and the power that you and I have.”
So, Rachel (doctorr) made mention of the fact that she needed to read more Steve/Danny fic and I was all “omg, I will write you up fic recs up the WAZOO” and she was basically like “go for it!”. Guys, my fangirl friend is in need and I’m heeding her call. I’m basically like the Fangirl Batman. And anyways, everybody wins!
If you’re interested in ALL the Hawaii 5-0 fic that I have saved (which is all amazing, no doubt), check out my delicious tag here. 326 fics as of now, and geez louise, I can’t even believe it sometimes because IT’S ONLY SEASON 1. But the following list comes under my tag of fic:favorite! and these are the ones that I could read over and over and over again. So, here we go:
- Tell You What (You’re Gonna Do) | giddygeek
- 48 | waldorph
- Thirty-Six Hours & Fifteen Minutes | leupagus
- Motive and Method | lamardeuse
- Sometimes A Blue Macaw | ariadnes_string (actually gen, but could be read as slash)
- When All Of New York City Misses You | leupagus & sutlers (I think this is particularly effective if you read it after watching 1x12, like I did, and omg, I’m still not over the punch in the gut this story gave me after watching that episode)
- Hit Heaven | gailsauce
- Mr Rosso Goes To Hawaii | siria
- ho’omanawanui i ka ’ono | siria
- Under Pressure | leupagus & elandrialore (Steve/Catherine/Danny. Why isn’t there more Catherine in fics? She is awesome. Get on that, fandom)
- High, High, Very High | siria
- Just Drink The Water Where You Came From | ink_like_blood (the only Steve/Chin fic I really like)
- I May Be Bad, But I’m Perfectly Good At It | waldorph
- Hold On | sheafrotherdon
- We Believe In the Sum of Ourselves | gyzym
- This Thing Of Ours (It Needs A Better Name) | leupagus (Cosa Nostra AU, just amazing)
- ‘Ohana Kupa | sheafrotherdon (Cate needs to write Danny’s family forever. FOR. EV. ER.)
- All My Guards Away | sheafrotherdon (particularly gut-wrenching reading this after ‘Ohana Kupa and watching the ep with Danny’s brother)
- Don’t Turn Me Home Again | gyzym (I can count TWO fics that have ever made me cry and this is one of them. I know this whole list is good but omg, SO GOOD)
- You Testify And I’ll Pour The Drinks | gyzym
- Just Like the Barrel Going Over the Falls | gyzym (hearts in my eyes over this fic)
- Bring You Out Under This Flooded Sky At Any Price | gyzym (Steve is ridiculous, the end)
- Curving Like The Ocean Toward You | gyzym
- I Solemnly Swear Not To Set Myself On Fire | sheafrotherdon (can we talk about how cute this fic is? because it is CUUUUTE)
- Gathering | gyzym
- Hold Your Breath | waldorph
- 11 Part Comment Fic based on photos of Alex O’Loughlin | queenklu
- Taxpayer Popcorn, Or How To Catch Up In One Easy Step | sheafrotherdon
“There’s one more thing you can do for me.”
This is what Castiel does not tell Dean: memories cannot be erased. They can be suppressed, scrawled over, stolen, but never rubbed away, like the tide over a trail of footprints. They hold power and pain and an infinite number of realities. They demand ownership. Even angels do not know how memory works, and angels know a great many things. Castiel has already twisted it before for Dean; has removed the agony of being ripped from Hell, torn apart to cleanse Alistair’s taint, remade from rot. With nowhere else to put it, he carries it gingerly in the back of his mind, careful not to disturb it lest he cripple himself with the recollection. He thinks of this when Dean asks him for one last favor, wonders how much of himself he has left to give the Righteous Man, and nods anyways.
“I’ll do it.”
“Okay.” Dean can’t even look at him, and Castiel wants to scream with his true voice, wants to rip himself out of this body and fly until his tattered wings give out. Instead, he takes a breath of air he doesn’t need, and turns to the two figures across the hallway.
The boy is simple. Castiel is in and out of his mind in a moment, pushing Dean and everything that came with him down, down, down until it lurks at the bottom of his consciousness; too deep and painful to come out as anything other than a flash of something nameless in the darkest hours of the night. He wants to linger, wants to drink in the remnants of Dean’s hand smoothing over Ben’s head as he kisses him goodnight, but he tears himself away. Not his place; not his family.
Lisa Braedon is different, devastatingly so.
This is the single most magnificent Dean/Castiel short I’ve ever read, and I’ve read a lot. I’ve sacrificed hours of my life, the standard of my homework and the quality of my rest to fanfic over the last few years and it’s almost like that’s all been a path leading to this. It’s glorious. It’s ethereal. It’s breathtaking, astonishing, agonising. It’s Cas, and his strengths and his weaknesses, and his selfishness and his selflessness. All these grey areas, the blurry regions of his character. His lust and his love, his desperation, his exhaustion. He’s so tired, and so stoic, and he gives and he takes in equal measure. And Dean’s cut from the same template. He’s broken and exhausted and worn yet brilliantly, beautifully resilient. It’s strength and humanity and need.
But what I love about it most is it respects Lisa. I love Lisa. I despise Lisa-hate. Yes, frown upon the writers for portraying her poorly, but Lisa is the woman Dean loved just nearly enough. Not quite, but close. She was nearly home. She’s the woman who gave him chances. She gave him a life when he was shattered and wounded by war, out of the kindness of her heart, and she expected nothing in return. She was never once selfish. She gave all she could - her money, her home, her friends, her love - and she got nothing back from Dean. Dean left her, dropped her, as soon as his brother came back, and she wasn’t bitter - she understood. And she kept giving, until it drained her, and the ONLY time she broke, the ONLY time she denied Dean, was when her child was at risk. Because she’s a mother over a lover. Because Dean will always be the second most important thing in her life. Because she will sacrifice love to protect her child and she’s suffered nothing but shit in return. Lisa Braeden is a criminally misused, underwritten and under-appreciated character, but this fic appreciates her, and I love it for that.
Crying so hard I’ve given myself a migraine. So fucking good.
“Cas.” Dean’s voice is hoarse. He hasn’t really slept since Cas flew past their failed attempt at angel proofing. It’s killing him. It’s like Sam and the demon blood all over again. Only Sam he could stop. Sam he could track down and find without having to use a spell and a ritual.
Read this with Songs of Praise playing in the background, choirs of Heavenly glowy children singing. Will never stop crying. I know this is how it’s going to end. It’s going to be Being Human all over again and I will not survive.